Russian granny kills wolf with her hands and an axe

56-year-old Aishat Maksudova, from Novo Biryuzuak in the Dagestan region of Russia.
56-year-old Aishat Maksudova, from Novo Biryuzuak in the Dagestan region of Russia. Photo: Reuters
A grandmother from Russia killed a wolf that attacked her with her hands and an axe.
56-year-old Aishat Maksudova, from Novo Biryuzyak village in the Dagestan region in Russia, was herding cows and sheep when a wolf attacked one of her calves.
Upon hearing the cry of her animal she rushed over to free the calf from the wolf's clutches, and the wolf turned its attention to her.
The wolf attacked Mrs Maksudova and bit her on the left arm and along the left hand side of her body, but she fought back with her fists and an axe.
The axe Mrs Maksudova used to kill the wolf
The axe Mrs Maksudova used to kill the wolf Credit: Reuters
Mrs Maksudova said she was "not frightened" when she was attacked, as she had an axe in her hand:
I was not even frightened. I stood holding an axe. And the wolf with an open mouth suddenly jumped on me.
The wolf clawed into my leg, and I wanted to hit him with the axe.
Mrs Maksudova said she would have preferred to punch the animal to death, but was unable to as the wolf grabbed on to her legs and would not let go. She said:
I wanted to open his mouth and put my fist all the way there, all the way to his throat.
But I could not open him.
So I just left my hand...And then I took the axe and hit him on his head.